SkySpecs is driving change in the way windenergy owners make decisions- fully automated inspections, assetmanagement software, & engineering solutions.
SkySpecs envisions a world where wind energy is the most affordable form of electricity and therefore ubiquitous around the world. SkySpecs is helping to make this possible by automating the operations and maintenance of wind farms using advanced robotics paired with Horizon, our custom-built asset performance management software.
SkySpecs launched the world’s first completely autonomous blade inspection product in 2016 with a custom designed drone system. Since then, SkySpecs has inspected over 30,000 wind turbines on 5 continents, becoming the world leader in understanding the health of turbine blades. Identifying issues with turbine blades is only the first step. In 2019, SkySpecs launched Horizon to be a platform for SkySpecs to offer a multi-layered solution for customers that includes: data collection, wind turbine blade engineering expertise, and a place for all stakeholders to collaborate to manage and analyze massive amounts of data, spot trends, and create plans for high-cost repair campaigns. Ultimately, this will help reduce the cost and risk of operations for the industry.
WHAT WILL I BE GETTING MYSELF INTO?
SkySpecs values collaboration, multidisciplinary problem solving, and a mantra of ‘under-promise, over-deliver’. SkySpecs is at a critical growth period with endless opportunities to make an impact.
SkySpecs is seeking experienced Commercial UAS Pilots to join our team of operators in Europe as we scale to conquer the aerial inspection industry. You will combine a passion for autonomous flight operations and drone electrical and mechanical troubleshooting knowledge. You will be responsible for executing on-site inspection work for our European customers, in-field technical troubleshooting, and transiting your equipment between sites as needed for longer deployment campaigns. You will be a critical member of the SkySpecs Operations Team and interact regularly with our on-site customers face-to-face, representing us on-site through efficient project execution, exceptional professionalism, and a nonstop commitment to safe UAS operations. You will be deployed across Europe for onshore inspections and, depending on your skills and preferences, would have the opportunity to be assigned to offshore projects.
IN A GIVEN WEEK, THE COMMERCIAL UAS PILOT WILL:
As a Commercial UAS Pilot, you’ll be responsible for solving a variety of operational challenges, many of which will involve creating and implementing new processes and systems from scratch.
- Deploy to customer project locations – sometimes solo, sometimes on small teams – to execute on-site wind turbine blade inspections using the SkySpecs automated drone system
- Communicate daily to SkySpecs and customer on project progress, upcoming logistics, technical troubleshooting details, product improvements, etc.
Be patient with and passionate for the most advanced commercial UAS technology on the market
- Charge, discharge, pack, and ship flight batteries
- European Union citizenship
- Native English speaker or proficiency at or above CEFR Level C1 or TOEFL Score >100
- Minimum of 25 logged hours as pilot-in-command (PIC) with heavy-lift (>7 kgs MTOW) multi-rotor platforms and at least 100 logged hours of overall UAS PIC experience; strong preference for extensive experience in “DJI Atti” mode equivalent (i.e. manual flying with no GPS position hold)
- Ability to travel up to 80% of the time, deployed to remote wind farms throughout Europe, in up to 4-week increments with 1-week breaks, depending on local regulations
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with UAS operations, vehicle and sensor assembly, telemetry radios, R/C transmitters, video downlinks, or general UAS field troubleshooting
- Willingness to jump in at any level of operations and do “whatever it takes” to help the project
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; high attention to detail; a stellar team player
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and fast, constant changes to “the plan” with the ability to adapt quickly and make it seem effortless
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel to the United States without a visa
- Ability to lift up to 25-kgs and stand for long periods of time
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- 2-year technical degree or higher in unmanned systems, aviation, operations, or a related field
- Experience with drone operations as PIC in multiple EU countries – the more, the better!
- Offshore flight operations experience – bonus points for having GWO 1-5 certifications
- Working-level proficiency in multiple languages besides English
- Experience with being deployed for long periods of time
- Wind energy / renewables experience
- Startup or tech experience
To apply for this job please visit skyspecs.com.